Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tanning bed usage - huge risk for skin cancer

I have shared with you before that I had melanoma in my mid 20's.  I was a huge sun worshipper and was proud to say that I went to the tanning bed every single day my senior year of high school.  WOW - what an accomplishment!!

A new study recently published in Lancet Oncology states the following:

the risk of skin cancer increases by 75 percent when people start using tanning beds before age 30. “We’ve known for a long time that UV light is a carcinogen, and it’s a bad idea to sit in one of those things,” says Dr. Whelan. “Whatever the short term pleasures you get from the positive effects of having a tan are not worth the ultimate price.”

I have been preaching to young girls for years to stay out of the sun and especially cancer causing tanning beds.  Finally a study that proves just this!!!

So once and for all - STOP TANNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment